Make this Resurrection cookies recipe and share the Easter message through it as well!
1 cup whole pecans
1 tsp vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
zipper bag and wooden spoon
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees(fahrenheit).
2. Place pecans in zipper bag; let children beat them into small pieces with the wooden spoon.
Explain that after Jesus was arrested He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3
3. Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl.
Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross He was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30
4. Add egg whites to vinegar.
Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.
5. Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers and the bitterness of our own sin.
6. So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup of sugar.
Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16,
7. Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.Explain that the white color represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3.
8. Fold in the broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid. Read Matthew 27:57-60.
9.Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door, and turn the oven OFF.
Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed. Read Matthew 27:65-66.
10. Go to bed.
Explain that they may feel sad leaving the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus' followers were in greater despair when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16:20,22.
11. In the morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first Easter, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.
Read Matthew 28:1-9. HE HAS RISEN!
Some of our favorite things:
Enjoy eating your cookies while watching the DVD, God Rocks! Bibletoons:Rez the Rock that Rolled; The wonder-filled Easter story for children of all ages!
Top of Resurrection cookies